Pursuant to the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Handbook 1200.17, which provides policies, procedures, and instructions governing non-profit Research and Education Corporations, authorized by Title 38 of the United States Code (U.S.C.) Sections 7361 through 7368, all BVARI employee must receive a Without Compensation (WOC) appointment through the VA Boston Healthcare Systems, prior to receiving compensation from the corporations.
Under the VHA Handbook 1200.17, Section 4-D.
1. The Corporation may employ individuals to work on VA-approved research projects or education and training activities. Corporation employees assigned to VA to provide research, education, or training services are subject to VA’s supervision, direction, and control.
2. All Corporation employees, including VA employees who work for the Corporation during their non-VA duty hours, who are assigned to VA to work on research projects or education and training activities, must have a WOC appointment regardless of whether they receive a corporate salary.
The following are a list of the required steps needed to receive a WOC appointment through the VABHCS:
As part of the submission process you will have to complete the following documentation:
1. All documents located in the WOC folder, including the OF-612, Optional Application for Federal Employment (it is not optional). Please make sure all documents are completed entirely and signed. Also, please complete the name and address portion of the Affidavit letter located in the WOC zipped folder and print three copies, and sign all three.
2. Schedule and appointment, with me, for Verification of your two forms of identifications for the I9 . This can be done when you come to review all paperwork for submission. If you are currently located in another state, please have your two forms of ID notarized as certified copies and send them to me directly. We cannot accept copies unless they are notarized by a certified notary public and you will have to present orginal documents upon hire.
Upon submission, or in conjunction with submission, of the above stated documents the following are the steps required for the hiring process:
1. Medical Clearance - you will need to have a PPD within the last three months, and get complete copies of your immunization records for submission. This PPD screen and read can now be performed on campus at the VABHCS in Jamaica Plain, you should call me to schedule an appointment. The SF-93 medical form you should complete and have your PCP sign acknowledging that the information you stated is accurate. Due to HIPPA regulation and compliance, you should submit these to me in a sealed envelope with your name on it.
2. Background Screening - You will received an email notification within two to three weeks from VA Human Resources for completion of the background investigation, or eqip. I am attaching the paper version of this background check, Form SF-85 Questionnaire for Sensitive positions, for you to prepare for completion of this process. There is information that you may have to research and this handout will help you so that all you will have to do is transcribes this information once the link to the eqip has arrived. These are critically important since this can delay your hiring process. Once you have completed the online background screening, please forward a copy of the original signature pages to our office for submission.
3. Fingerprinting - Once the signature pages are received, we will schedule an appointment for you to be fingerprinted at the JP campus, or we can schedule an appointment for fingerprinted at your nearest VA.
4. VA Trainings - You will also have to complete the attach VA trainings, and submit printed or PDF copies of the completion certificate. Please complete all trainings that are relevant to your position (ie. If you are working with animals please complete all animals training requirements).
5. Credentialing: You should request copies of all undergraduate graduate (if any) transcripts for submission, and complete the attached Research scope of work for humans/animals and the education verification form . This is information is crucial for BVARI to issue any identification badges for access to the facilities.
I know this can be a tedious and long process, but I am here to assist you and answer your questions every step of the way. The full hiring process can take between 30-90 days, and is dependent on your full cooperation and response to any emails from BVARI or VA Human Resources. Since this is a time sensitive process, we ask that all documents be sent directly to our office in order to ensure that receipts are obtained when the paperwork is submitted. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at the below-mentioned number and I will gladly walk you through the forms. We look forward to working with you in the near future.
© 2008 Boston VA Research Institute, Inc., All Rights