1. Ride the Rails: Instead of driving to work, take public transportation like the subway, train or bus. If possible, walk to work! If none of the other options logistically make sense for you, carpool! *Fun fact: Taking the bus is 7x safer than driving your own car.
2. Power Down: Before you leave the office for the night, or if you will be away from your computer for more than 2 hours, shut it down completely. The small surge of energy that it takes to power up is still less than the energy needed to keep the machine running for long periods of time.
3. Go Green: Indoor office plants can make a significant impact on human health and happiness in the workplace.
4. Take the Stairs: Save electricity by ditching the elevators in your building and taking the stairs instead. Not only will you be helping to conserve energy but you will also be getting in some valuable exercise!
5. Reuse: Bring a reusable water bottle to the office every day to eliminate the waste from plastic bottles. *Fun fact: Did you know that if you bring your own reusable coffee cup to Starbucks they will give you a $.10 discount? If you stop in to Sbucks daily, you'll save $26 bucks a year and you'll save the planet 260 paper cups of waste!
© 2008 Boston VA Research Institute, Inc., All Rights